4th Annual French
Complex Systems Summer School
Paris, August 2nd to 20th, 2010
This new series of international Complex Systems Summer School (CSSS2010) set in France is co-organized by the two French Institutes: Complex Systems Institute Paris Île-de-France (ISC-PIF) & Complex Systems Institute Rhône-Alpes (IXXI), in coordination with the overarching National Network of Complex Systems (RNSC) and with the support of the european coordination action ASSYST. Our Summer School is also one of the "Thematic School" supported by the CNRS.|
This year, the summer school will take place in Paris at the ISC-PIF:
57-59 rue Lhomond
The aim of the school is to provide in-depth reference courses to a multi-disciplinary audience of researchers and students. The level of lectures will range from introductory to advanced, as attendees are not expected to be familiar with all the fields covered. Lecture topics will address specific objects from various disciplines pertaining to complex systems (physics, biology, sociology, etc.), or interdisciplinary tools and methods (mathematical, computational), or both.
Invited Lecturers (tentative)
- Hugues Bersini (IRIDIA,Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium)
- Guillaume Beslon (IXXI, Université de Lyon, INSA-Lyon, LIRIS, France)
- Andrew Crooks (Computational Social Science, Georges Mason University, USA)
- Ronald Dickman (Universidade Federal de Minais Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil)
- François Graner (Institut Curie, France)
- Mikhail Kanevski (Institute of Geomatics and Analysis of Risk (IGAR), Lausanne)
- Alexander Mikhailov (Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society, Berlin, Germany)
- Lael Parrott (Département de géographie, Université de Montréal, Canada)
- Céline Rozenblat (Institut de Géographie, Faculté des Géosciences, Université de Lausanne, Switzerland)
Applying to the Summer School
Early application tuition rate (if applying by May 30) is €300 for the whole school. Regular tuition rate (if applying after May 30) is €400. Tuition rate includes:
- attendance to all courses
- housing in Paris (if applying by June 15)
- lunches and coffee breaks
Housing can be guaranteed only if the application was received by June 15 (and accepted). After June 15, housing will be assigned only if there is still vacancies. Note that dinners and travel expenses are not included. Once you receive confirmation of your participation, we recommend that you make your own travel arrangements as quickly as possible.
The number of participants is limited to 30.
To apply to the summer school, please
- prepare a short CV and a 1-page cover letter stating your interest for complex systems and the summer school;
- fill out the APPLICATION FORM and follow the form instructions to upload these documents.
Overview of important dates:
- Application deadline for full consideration & €300 discount rate: May 30
- Notification of acceptance of early applications & payment instructions: June 8
- Payment deadline: June 21
- Application deadline for the €400 regular rate: after May 30, on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on vacancy, selection, and prompt payment
- Application deadline for guaranteed housing: June 15